[asterisk-users] Converting GSM calls to SIP

Vahan Yerkanian vahan at arminco.com
Thu Apr 15 00:49:05 CDT 2010

On 4/15/10 1:26 AM, Tonty T wrote:
> That's is all the overhead I am trying to avoid.  What I need is a DID
> with unlimited channel, but they do not offer DIDs in that country.  I
> wanted to know for example when I get a DID from lets say Vitelity,
> with unlimited channel, what are they using to forward the calls via
> SIP or IAX to my server?  If I knew the details of the process, I
> could probably tell them to used this method and route the short code
> to me via SIP.  And if it requires hardware I could invest in it
> myself and have them host it.

If their switch doesn't support SIP or doesn't have SIP module
installed, there isn't much you can do to get traffic in pure SIP form.
Ask them if they can and willing to serve you the traffic via multiple
E3 or even better, STM fiber links. STM over fiber is the cheapest way
to transport that much channels by means of cabling - you just need 2
strands for TX/RX or even 1 strand if you go with WDM. However the
carrier crade hardware for it is *very expensive*. On your side you
demux STM link(s) into E3/E1s using expensive carrier grade equipment
like Cisco's $25k+ (used) STM cards for Cisco 7500 and up models or if
you're smart enough to know where to dig, dirt cheap (~$2K for STM-1 to
24E1) Taiwanese/Chinese media converters.

Oh and yes, this isn't a task for a single Asterisk server. The most
I've seen a single box capable of is 16 E1s (2 x 8E1 cards) in a single
chassis doing only G711a to SIP conversion.

HTH,
Vahan