[asterisk-users] Ring Two Extensions Simultaneously with different caller ID values?

Lincoln King-Cliby lincoln at controlworks.com
Tue Apr 13 20:06:38 CDT 2010

Hi All,

We're using Asterisk 1.4, and Cisco phones exclusively (mostly the 7961G, but a few 7911Gs and one 7912G for the time being-all running the SIP firmware image, plus a few analog extensions until the next capital funding cycle).

Each user has a phone at his or her desk, but there are also a growing number of "common area" phones (hallway, kitchen, conference rooms, data center, etc), and our users tend to be relatively mobile - revolving around their office, but might have a quick meeting in a conference room, or be BSing in the kitchen, or what have you.

The request has come for users to know that their desk phone is ringing and be able to grab their calls, without having to log in/log out/forward their extension (after all a lot of this is very impromptu - you might just be waking back to the kitchen to grab a soda, bump into a coworker, and have a 20 minute discussion about widget X)

It is, of course, quite easy to make multiple sets ring simultaneously (e.g SIP/xxxx&SIP/yyyy) - but both sets get the same caller ID info, so if I were to do this no one at the common area sets would know who the call was for.

Is there any way to feed different caller ID information to both sets while keeping them ringing simultaneously? My idea is to prefix the called extension to the name field (so as not to break redial/callback features on the phones)

For example, call from John Smith (x2789) to Jane Doe (x1234) would ring Jane's desk, the nearest conference room, and kitchen phones and present the caller ID as "John Smith" in her office, but "1234>John Smith" or something similar on the common area phones.

Regardless of the advisability of implementing this in real life, does this question make sense and is there an easyish way to implement this?

TIA for any pointers - and please keep in mind that I'm still a relative newbie for both Linux and Asterisk.

Lincoln

--

Lincoln King-Cliby, CTS
Applications Engineer

V: 440.449.1100 x1107 F: 440.449.1106 I:http://www.controlworks.com
Crestron Authorized Independent Programmer