[asterisk-users] long return times from System() calls with 1.6.2.6?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Apr 8 16:01:36 CDT 2010

David Backeberg wrote:

>> I'm doing really, really innocent things, like:
>>
>> exten => s,n,System(test -e ${MESSAGE_PATH}${EXTEN})
>
> So I did some more testing. Same dialplan, reverted to
> asterisk-1.6.0.13, and the contexts that do these test -e calls runs
> lightning fast. It's like maybe there's something going on where it
> needs to run sudo or something?

There was a big change in the way the ast_safe_system() API call (used
by the System() dialplan application) works between 1.6.0 and 1.6.2;
it's possible you are seeing a side effect of this change. If you'd like
to experiment, open up main/app.c (in 1.6.2), search for the
ast_close_fds_above_n() function, and in the for() loop that runs from
'n+1' to 'rl.rlim_cur', change 'rl.rlim_cur' to '4096'. If that changes
the behavior, we've found the culprit, and you can open an issue on
issues.asterisk.org so this can be investigated.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com