[asterisk-users] dial extension and play sound file from shell on asterisk server?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Apr 8 06:00:11 CDT 2010

I want to use Asterisk as a general message delivery system here.

That is, I want to be able to have a (shell, perl, etc.) script on my
Asterisk server dial an extension, wait for it to be answered and then
play a sound file and then hang up, or even wait for a response or
reactions to some IVR.

Certainly if I had a SIP library, I could have the script simply look
like a SIP extension but that seems like it should be an unnecessary
added complication.  Instead I am looking for a more direct API to
Asterisk which allows a process to interact like a "phone" but not
actually be one.

Is this at all possible?  Anyone done anything like this?

b.