[asterisk-users] OT - In which countries are ISDN subaddressesused ?

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 01:20:19 CDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 11:51 PM, Alec Davis <sivad.a at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> I'm interested, and I expect others will be on how you might use it.
>
> Our use on the mantis bug, is to allow 3 ISDN connected sites (no reliable
> internet) each running asterisk, to dial other staff members in the other

You say no reliable internet, if you can get ISDN wouldn't the
providers offer Internet thru the same ISDN Physical links? why are
those not considered reliable? What I mean is what we have here in the
states called Internet over T1, I know I am assuming that your ISDN
links are T/E1 and if that's not the case I know the answer is price.
But if it is T/E1 then I could see a fractional T/E1 where some
channels are used for data as a way better/easier/cheaper way than
subaddressing.

> branches.
> The key to this working is the subaddress being populated with the dailled
> extension, but the main number is called.

This is interesting, wouldn't the provider on both ends have to support this?
While it could work with ISDN lines, I don't think it could ever work
with POTS, since the switches servicing these POTS lines have
dialplans programmed that after (US example) 7 digits - where the
first digit is something other than 0 or 1 and the next 2 digits are
not 11 - it starts calling not listening/taking any additional digits.
In the case where a 1 is dialed it's expecting 10 more digits with the
first 3 having the same rules as the first 3 of the 7 digits, in an
area where 10 digit dialing is required there is usually one more rule
that where the first 3 digits is the same as the area code of the
phone making the call, then it waits for 7 more digits with the first
3 of the 7 having the same rule as the 7 digit dialing above.
In any event you can't really dial more digits than the national
dialing plan when calling national from POTS here in the US.