[asterisk-users] Asterisk on a Beagleboard?

astgroups at comcast.net astgroups at comcast.net
Wed Sep 23 13:25:40 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin" <asterisklist at callthem.info>
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 11:01:04 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Asterisk on a Beagleboard?

Even PCI has 133MB/s ... so what ? Also isn't USB only target ? It
doesn't do DMA ...
so it might be same as PCI Target chips that slow down the CPU

TDMoE has to have those frames on time all the time forever ...
these ethernet frames are sent both ways every 1ms
that might be (or not) too much load on the small CPU

loose a few frames or deliver late and your voice TDMoE won't work right

I just speculate here

Martin

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Jeff LaCoursiere <jeff at jeff.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 07:43:51PM -0500, Martin wrote:
>>> I do not know if fonebridge would work here since it sends/receives
>>> the ~2 Mbps (for each circuit/port)
>>> of data over ethernet ... constantly. That could choke the USB ...
>>
>> Ethernet has frames. While I'm not exactly sure how ethernet over USB
>> works and how TDM over Ethernet (MF) works, I would speculate that it is
>> far from flooding the USB bus.
>>

> Even USB 1.1 was 12Mbps. Should be plenty of room for a mere 24 channels
> of ulaw :)

The test we did was actually with 2x T1s worth of calls (48 uLaw calls) on the Beagleboard using the Dual port fonebridge.
I'm not suggesting this would be a good production quality system. I think a native Ethernet connection and not via a USB adapter would be more efficient but the CPU was able to handle the call volume no problem.