[asterisk-users] DAHDI hangup detection

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Tue Sep 15 12:39:39 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 11:23 -0500, Danny Nicholas wrote:
> The issue is that POTS as a technology does not have Answer/Hangup
> Supervision control (This is per the good folks at Digium).

This is incorrect.

Asterisk *does* support far-end disconnect supervision, if you're using
Kewlstart signaling.  (Check to make sure you're using signalling=fxo_ks
or signalling=fxs_ks in your channel driver configuration.  And yes, you
must spell signaling with two ls if you're using Asterisk 1.4 or
earlier.)  If you're simply using loop-start signaling, Asterisk won't
be looking for the far-end disconnect signal.

(For future reference, and to clarify Danny's point, Asterisk has no way
of doing *answer* detection on FXO ports, as the telcos here in the US
don't signal when the far end has answered.  In other countries, the
telcos will often do a polarity reversal to indicate far-end answer.
That being said, we absolutely support *hangup* supervision.)

--
Jared Smith
Training Manager