[asterisk-users] OT: Question about Wifi sniffing on network

randulo spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 11:15:34 CDT 2009

Hi Gordon,

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote:
> It shouldn't "reach out", but it will pass on ARP and other broadcasts
> from Ethernet to Wi-Fi and back again.
>
> I don't know what "Free" is - I'm guessing some sort of community mesh
> network? Snooping any public wi-fi is going to reveal lots and lots of
> stuff you really would rather not see - or that the users would rather you
> didn't see!!!

"Freebox" is the name of the branded router from Free, an ISP. They do
DSL and are one of the biggest ISP in France.

I can't figure out why I'm seeing these things as they are not TCP/IP
or at least Wireshark doesn't understand them at all. It does show
MACs though and when I looked them up they were belonging to the
company that makes the Freebox.