[asterisk-users] OT: Question about Wifi sniffing on network

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sat Sep 12 11:04:54 CDT 2009

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009, randulo wrote:

> Most of you have needed at one time or another to sniff network
> traffic for trouble shooting purposes.
>
> Today I noticed that one of my SIP phone's web interface worked much
> faster with Opera, so I wanted to see what exactly was going on. I set
> up Wireshark and toook a look, but I got distracted by the fact that I
> saw a bunch of strange things coming from "FreeboxS_nn". I know my
> neighbor uses Free and has this device and there are probably others
> in the neighborhood as well. I'm seeing this on a wifi connection to a
> Mac Mini. The SIP phone was a Gigaset S675IP. If you have any slowness
> in the web gui, try Opera 10, it somehow talks very quickly to the
> phone.

Or try Google Chrome under Linux. The Siemens phones have a stupidly slow
interface which seems to use more javascript that it should be using.

> My question is this:
>
> On a local network, there are devices like pronters that announce
> themselves, files sharing, computers, servers, etc.

Yes. Especially if you have any Microsoft clients or servers - they spew
"stuff" all the time.

> On a WiFi router, is it normal that it "reaches out" to try to talk to
> devices? I'm seeing groups of packets a couple times a minute, it
> seems like a lot. Is this normal or is it some kind of hack attempt or
> honeypot within range of my computer?

It shouldn't "reach out", but it will pass on ARP and other broadcasts
from Ethernet to Wi-Fi and back again.

I don't know what "Free" is - I'm guessing some sort of community mesh
network? Snooping any public wi-fi is going to reveal lots and lots of
stuff you really would rather not see - or that the users would rather you
didn't see!!!

Gordon