[asterisk-users] Asterisk CLI commands not running !!!!!

Miguel Molina mmolina at millenium.com.co
Wed Sep 9 09:35:49 CDT 2009

Steve Edwards escribió:
> Un-top-posting...
>
>> From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
>> [mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of abdelkader
>>
>> I am using Asterisk 1.4.22 in a debian 4.0 with a kernel version
>> 2.6.18-6-amd64 (SMP). The processor type is Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU
>> E5420 @ 2.50GHz.
>>
>> Sometimes, I get a strange behavior from asterisk: The CLI commands
>> does not work and Asterisk cannot receive calls. The output of every
>> CLI command is that command is not known (no such command).
>
> Just grasping at straws...
>
> How often does this happen?
>
> Does "sudo lsof | grep /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/" show the modules
> you expect?
>
>> From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
>> [mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of
>> Mindaugas Kezys
>>
>> Asterisk sometimes goes to sleep. (And never wakes-up).
>>
>> Restart it and all will be fine again.
>>
>> We have a watchdog which sends SIP OPTIONS packet to Asterisk and if
>> it does not respond ? restarts it.
>
> Please share :)
>
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Lee, John (Sydney) wrote:
>
>> I have a cron job that restarts Asterisk every night. This is
>> supposed to be an old Asterisk best practice for 1.2.* but I think it
>> does not harm.
>
> Unless you're running 24x7x365.
>
> I have a 1.2.7 system (with custom hacks) that needs to be restarted
> every 3 or 4 months due to a memory leak.
>
> I had (until last weekend) a 1.2.2x system that had been running for
> over *600 days*.
>
> Both systems handle about *15k calls a day.*
 From Steve's experience, you can see that on some cases upgrading to a
newer version solves a lot of issues. I would not be comfortable with
simply using restart scripts because asterisk doesn't work well along a
reasonable amount of time. Get your hards dirty and get to the bottom of
it, try upgrading, googling error messages, dig into the bugtracker
looking for reported issues, and don't give up, is better to have or
achieve a stable version and maybe help to improve it reporting a new
bug than just going with a lazy solution IMHO.

Cheers,

--
Ing. Miguel Molina
Grupo de Tecnología