[asterisk-users] Breaking news, but what happened? 11.000 channels on one server

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Mon Sep 7 15:19:17 CDT 2009

"Olle E. Johansson" <oej at edvina.net> writes:

> Imaging my surprise this Monday when I installed a plain old Asterisk
> 1.4 on a new HP server, a DL380 G6, and could run in circles around
> the old IBM servers.

The G6 series is pure magic for everything I've let it touch
network-wise.

I have three guesses as to why:

1) Lots and lots of bandwidth between CPU and I/O, plus built-in memory
controller so any packet copying runs wicked fast.

2) MSI-X seems to really help, at least when combined with modern
ethernet chipsets (the original PRO/1000 is looking a bit dated now, but
more modern PRO/1000 should still be a good choice).

3) Multi-queue NIC. This should REALLY help when you have lots of cores
and CPU threads. Depends on fairly new kernels.

I'm not sure which is the answer though.

/Benny