[asterisk-users] Using asterisk as the recording server

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Mon Sep 7 06:44:07 CDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 5:58 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 01:15:12AM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 1:03 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
> >wrote:

> > > recording, i
> > > server(like
> > > outbound

> > > asterisk(record

> look
> > > at
> > >
> > > Another method to do that is to make the Asterisk monitor output dummy
> > > SIP calls rather than sound files. Oreka/Orex can listen to those.
> > >
> > > Looking for volunteers to test that:
> > >
> > >  http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/tzafrir/monitor-rtp/
> > >  http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/tzafrir/monitor-rtp-14/
> > >

> http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/tzafrir/monitor-rtp/configs/monitor.conf.sample
> > >
> > > This allows recording non-VoIP links, VoIP links where tapping is not
> > > convinient, or more selective recording of VoIP calls.
> > >

> > Is this similar or the same as the portion of my post that you snipped?
>
> Different in many ways, which is why I snipped it.
>

> > "Sangoma RTP Tap will allow you to record TDM calls, again using OrecX
> but
> > minus the VoIP."
>
> (Actually: recorded calls are sent as RTP streams to the Orex/Oreka
> server)
>
> This records outside of Asterisk. Thus it lacks information available in
> Asterisk (who really called who). OTOH, it is Asterisk-specific.
>
> We actually considered implementing something similar to the Sangoma
> interface in our driver but realised that doing it in Asterisk would
> probably be more useful. The overheade seems reasonable.

Sorry, I fail to see the difference besides Sangoma implemented it in their
Wanpipe drivers and you are attempting copy their idea and do it in
Asterisk.....

Your quote "This allows recording non-VoIP links, VoIP links where tapping
is not convenient (edited to fix your spelling mistake), or more selective
recording of VoIP calls."

Isn't that more or less the same thing I said that you snipped, "Sangoma RTP
Tap will allow you to record TDM calls, again using OrecX but minus the
VoIP."

This isn't the biz list, nor the dev list.  Snipping out the reference of
Sangoma being able to do RTP tap and suggesting people use your experimental
dev branch doesn't really help users very much.

I really enjoy your use of selective snipping, quoting, and taking things
out of context to manipulate threads.  You should be a reporter.  Too bad it
doesn't work on me and I will call you out on it.

Please let us users know when your branch gets merged into a "Stable
Release"

--
Senior Systems and Network Administrator
Triple Canopy, Inc.,
steve.totaro at triplecanopy.com