[asterisk-users] Allowing multiple callers to join a public speaking session...?

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Wed Sep 2 12:33:50 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, lists at mgreg.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As is obvious by my joining the list, I'm interested in learning more about
> Asterisk.  I have downloaded the PDF manual (for version 1.4) and am
> beginning to go through it.  What I'm looking for in the short-term, however,
> is a more concise reference for common Asterisk configurations and setups.
>
> I currently have a non-profit client to which I am donating work.  They are
> looking to allow callers to listen in to public speaking sessions.  They
> currently have a single phone line with call waiting and are using an archaic
> one-person switch to then allow folks to call-chain via 3-way calling.  What
> they want is basically a "switchboard" that allows multiple people (5 to 10)
> to call in at a time of their choosing and begin listening to the
> "in-progress" session.
>
> My first question would be:  Is Asterisk the proper tool for this job (or is
> there something else you'd recommend)?  A follow-up question would be:  What
> kind of cost is involved in a small setup of this nature?
>
> Your input is much appreciated.
>
> Best,
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes, I think you are on the right track.  A "Meetme" conference is what
you need, and perhaps a service to provide a DID number that would allow
multiple people to call in to your conference at the same time (without
purchasing POTS hardware, dealing with echo issues, etc.).  Checkout
"www.ipcomms.net".  I use them for a number of DID services.  Their rates
are decent and their support folks know asterisk.

Cheers,