[asterisk-users] Digium PRI cards for data usage?

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Tue Sep 1 16:17:50 CDT 2009

----- "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
> Tim Nelson wrote:
>
> > Thats a VERY good question. Many of the circuits I've worked with
> are
> > dynamically allocated for voice or data depending on voice demands.
> Will
> > Zaptel/Dahdi accomadate this type of scenario or do the channels
> have to
> > be statically assigned?
>
> Zaptel/DAHDI are not protocol stacks. Doing dynamic channel
> allocation
> requires assistance from an application; Asterisk includes an
> application called DAHDIRAS which can be used to build a RAS-style
> dial-in server to provide PPP connections (including multilink PPP, I
> believe). It's not commonly used, but it's been around for a long
> time
> and the last time I heard about someone using it did in fact work for
> them...

Ah yes... I've heard of DAHDIRAS but never looked into it. Thanks.

> Now, if you instead of have some sort of non-dial-up method of
> dynamically changing the number of channels assigned to the HDLC link,
> don't know of anything that will support that over DAHDI; I'm not
> even
> sure the Linux HDLC network stack can handle that.

Good point. My primary interest in starting this thread was simply to see if I could use the cards for data access since I have a couple lying around and would like to setup a 1.5mbit T1 circuit between them for data usage. My last post was more of a curiosity type thing. :-)

Thanks for the pointers.

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.