[asterisk-users] Digium PRI cards for data usage?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Sep 1 16:17:03 CDT 2009

Tim Nelson wrote:

> Thats a VERY good question. Many of the circuits I've worked with are
> dynamically allocated for voice or data depending on voice demands. Will
> Zaptel/Dahdi accomadate this type of scenario or do the channels have to
> be statically assigned?

Zaptel/DAHDI are not protocol stacks. Doing dynamic channel allocation
requires assistance from an application; Asterisk includes an
application called DAHDIRAS which can be used to build a RAS-style
dial-in server to provide PPP connections (including multilink PPP, I
believe). It's not commonly used, but it's been around for a long time
and the last time I heard about someone using it did in fact work for
them...

Now, if you instead of have some sort of non-dial-up method of
dynamically changing the number of channels assigned to the HDLC link, I
don't know of anything that will support that over DAHDI; I'm not even
sure the Linux HDLC network stack can handle that.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com