[asterisk-users] Installing Asterisk

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Tue Oct 27 08:52:47 CDT 2009

Dan Journo wrote:

> - on which linux flavour i should start the installation of asterisk
> (CentOs,Fedora,Ubuntu)
> right now i am using ubuntu 8.04lts
>
> I use Centos 5.3

CentOS 5.3 works well, though this is somewhat of a religious argument

If you are familiar with Ubadoobie, then why not use it?

I was never successful with an earlier version, but that is me.

fedora seems to have a short life, and many don't consider it a wise choice.

> - What are the essential packages.
>
> The book explains which packages you need to get a basic Asterisk up
> and running.

there are also several good web sites that tick off all the packages needed
Google can help with this

> - whats is PRI, BRI interfaces
>
> These are used if you want to connect Asterisk to normal standard
> phone lines. If you are just using SIP and making internet calls, you
> don’t need these. You can call to and from standard phone lines if you
> get a SIP provider.
>
> Take a look at this website. It has quite a good list of providers:-
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/DID+Service+Providers
>

> - what is asterisk now
>
> It is an installation DVD containing all of the basic options needed
> to run asterisk. If you use it, then you wont need to go through most
> of the configuration that the book discusses.
>
> I preferred to use the book, because then i know a bit more about what
> is happening.

I agree, though depending on your goal, it may be the best choice.

If one wants to get up and running quickly, and is willing to have a
tougher time when something doesn't work correctly, and is willing use
the defaults, then it may be the better choice.
If, however, one wants a learning experience, takes notes, and follow
the now somewhat outdated TFOT book, then go the install from scratch route.

Best of luck

John Novack

Dog is my co-pilot