[asterisk-users] Installing Asterisk

Dan Journo dan at keshercommunications.com
Tue Oct 27 04:54:15 CDT 2009

- on which linux flavour i should start the installation of asterisk (CentOs,Fedora,Ubuntu)
  right now i am using ubuntu 8.04lts

I use Centos 5.3

- What are the essential packages.

The book explains which packages you need to get a basic Asterisk up and running.

- whats is PRI, BRI interfaces

These are used if you want to connect Asterisk to normal standard phone lines. If you are just using SIP and making internet calls, you don’t need these. You can call to and from standard phone lines if you get a SIP provider.

Take a look at this website. It has quite a good list of providers:-

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/DID+Service+Providers

- what is asterisk now

It is an installation DVD containing all of the basic options needed to run asterisk. If you use it, then you wont need to go through most of the configuration that the book discusses.

I preferred to use the book, because then i know a bit more about what is happening.

Dan Journo