[asterisk-users] GSM 6.10 codec for Asterisk

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Oct 22 12:16:51 CDT 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, Alejandro Cabrera Obed wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm planning to buy some IP phones with GSM audio codec support in order to
> use with an Asterisk SIP server I have implemented and nowsuccessfully
> running with softphones like Eyebeam and Twinkle.
>
> A vendor offer to me the SNOM 300 IP phone, that support GSM 6.10 audio
> codec. I've looking for GSM 6.10 codec in the web but there is no helpful
> information. Just I enter the Asterisk CLI console and after running the
> "show codecs" command I get the GSM codec as valid.
>
> Can you tell me if Asterisk support the GSM 6.10 audio codec ??? What the
> difference between GSM and GSM 6.10 ???

In our Asterisk world, GSM is GSM 6.10. (And you may sometimes see it as
GSM-FR too) There are other GSM codecs, but we're not really interested
here.

You won't have any problems (other than GSM speech quality!) with your
Snom phones set to use GSM and Asterisk.

But why use GSM? If you're on the same LAN, use uLaw or aLaw  (G711u or
G711a) whichever is in-use by the PSTN telcos of your country.

Gordon