[asterisk-users] IMAP voicemail using subfolders fails.

Darrick Hartman dhartman at djhsolutions.com
Wed Oct 21 18:41:35 CDT 2009

Barry L. Kline wrote:
> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
>> It's not present in the current 1.4 doc/imapstorage.txt file, or any
>> later version. I don't even know why the storage format would matter,
>> since that would be very specific to the IMAP server that is managing
>> that folder.
>
> Hmmm....
>
> http://markmail.org/message/up3rfmdk2kjf6r7y
>
> is a link that contains the contents of a README file that looks like it
> came from Digium.   About half-way down is:
>
> -------------- Mailbox Format --------------
>
> Mailboxes should use the "mbx" mailbox format. The "mbox" format does
> not support concurrent access to mailboxes, which can cause deadlock or
> strange behaviors. You can convert mailboxes from mbox to mbx using
> mailutil:
>

> Perhaps that came from a different product?   I think that I'm going to
> just go ahead and implement IMAP VM and see what happens.

Barry,

I don't think that Maildir or a database backend solution (such as
Exchange) suffers from this same limitation.

I would be more interested in knowing how sensitive this would be to
latency if using an IMAP server that isn't on the same device as the
Asterisk server (or perhaps even a remote IMAP server)?

Darrick