[asterisk-users] Asterisk and Nuance Vocalizer TTS Engine

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Wed Oct 21 14:45:23 CDT 2009

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Christophorus Laube wrote:

> Using the nvcmdline utility you should use bash AGI or something more
> scripty.

I'd suggest something way less scripty like C and a proper API if
available.

You can execute xxx AGIs written in C in the time it takes a PHP or Perl
interpreter to load. (I haven't "benched" bash.)

Executing agi() creates a process. Every shell command you execute creates
a process. Creating all these processes is not free. Creating a process
takes a huge amount of resources (time, CPU, memory, disk).

Using a proper API eliminates all the shell command nonsense.

Recently, somebody posted a shell script to extract lines from a queue log
and warned that it could take a long time to execute. Re-coding the script
in C reduced the execution time to almost 1/3,000th of the original
execution time.

--
Thanks in advance,