[asterisk-users] OT - DECT SIP Phones

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Oct 19 04:06:43 CDT 2009

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:

> ----- "Gordon Henderson" <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote:
>
> | On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Gordon,
> | >
> | > Thanks for that ... Which Siemens Gigaset model have you been
> | installing
> | > ? I presume you need one with a base station aswell ?
> |
> | I've installed many models - starting with the C450IP which is now
> | obsoleted. The A580IP range seem to be the budget end now, but are
> | otherwise OK, the C475IP's are what I've installed recently.
> |
> | The base plus the first handset come as a bundle - the base is a
> | separate
> | unit, so you need 2 mains sockets for the first phone!
> |
> | > I see Snom are bringing out M9s aswell !
> |
> | Er, good for them. I find Snom generally overpriced for what you get
> | though. The repeater is good, but it is a complete b'stard to setup if
> | you
> | have to do it manualy (e.g. for Siemens phones) - no buttons, so plug
> | in,
> | wait, unplug, wait - for various periods of time )-:
> |
> | Gordon
> |

> Gordon,
>
> do you mean the repeater on the M9 ?

No - Their stand-alone device.

E.G.

   http://www.voipon.co.uk/snom-dect-repeater-p-879.html

> I know what you mean about the price though I don't mind paying a little
> extra if the product is worth it.  My issue I have with the M3s is that
> voice occasionally breaks up on even internal calls; no way to
> download/upload the configuration of the gateway (Snom have said this is
> for security !?!?); You can upload a directory but cannot download so if
> adding a new contact from one of the handsets you the have to update you
> central CSV :(; No mixture of common or handset address books.
>
> I should get the S685 tomorrow; so once the M9 is out will buy one to
> compare the two.  From what I have seen of the M9 (small picture) it
> does look like they have improved the styling and buttons over the M3
> which is a good start.

The M9 still looks too small.. Maybe I've just been unlucky with my
customers of DECT phones though - I've installed them mostly in
factory/warehouse places, so not exactly the places you get people with
dainty little fingers...

Gordon