[asterisk-users] PSTN to SIP line ratio

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Thu Oct 15 15:08:14 CDT 2009

----- "Steve Edwards" <asterisk.org at sedwards.com> wrote:

> >> 42[:1]
> >>
> >> (The fact that you ask such a generic question implies you have a
> high
> >> probability of failure. You should hire somebody with a bit more
> clue
> >> and learn from them.)
>
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Tim Nelson wrote:
>
> > Ignoring unhelpful snobbish remarks from the peanut gallery...
>
> Really? Seriously?
>
> Maybe facetious and direct, but not intended to be snobbish or
> unhelpful.
>
> > Your ratio will depend largely on the usage by your users. In a busy
>
> > contact center where your users/agents will be on calls nearly 100%
> of
> > the time, your ratio will need to be closer to 1:1. However, if the
>
> > installation is for a school where most of the staff (teachers) are
>
> > instructing in the classroom or otherwise away from their desks, you
> can
> > get by with a higher ratio like 4:1.
>
> Assuming the OP meant "how many PSTN lines (incoming and outgoing) for
>
> every x SIP users" (and that you meant 1:4), without knowing the
> application, 42:1 (or 1:42) is just as relevant as 1:1 or 1:4.
>
> (As a parent, if 25% of the teachers are yakking to somebody
> off-campus,
> I'd raise holy hell.)
>
> > As always, you build your system with room for expansion in the
> event
> > you need additional resource availability. Also, ensure your
> > customer/client understands the limitations of the number
> simultaneous
> > calls. If you don't tell them and they find out the hard way, you'll
> be
> > in a world of hurt.
>
> Without the guidance of someone who has been down the road before, he
> is
> likely to hit every pothole.
>
> I still think hiring some talent to either "do the job" or "mentor"
> the OP
> is the most helpful advice I could give.

I'm certainly not saying the OP couldn't use some experienced help or consultation, I just thought the message came across as 'Go away NEWB we don't want to help'. Also, it seems rather apparent your choice of "42" is related more to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(number)#In_The_Hitchhiker.27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy  than it is to channel ratios... While certainly amusing, it is not helpful.

Anyways, it's just a mailing list, just software, just one's and zero's. Moving along... :-)

--Tim