[asterisk-users] PSTN to SIP line ratio

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Thu Oct 15 14:56:32 CDT 2009

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Tim Nelson wrote:

> Ignoring unhelpful snobbish remarks from the peanut gallery...

Really? Seriously?

Maybe facetious and direct, but not intended to be snobbish or unhelpful.

> Your ratio will depend largely on the usage by your users. In a busy
> contact center where your users/agents will be on calls nearly 100% of
> the time, your ratio will need to be closer to 1:1. However, if the
> installation is for a school where most of the staff (teachers) are
> instructing in the classroom or otherwise away from their desks, you can
> get by with a higher ratio like 4:1.

Assuming the OP meant "how many PSTN lines (incoming and outgoing) for
every x SIP users" (and that you meant 1:4), without knowing the
application, 42:1 (or 1:42) is just as relevant as 1:1 or 1:4.

(As a parent, if 25% of the teachers are yakking to somebody off-campus,
I'd raise holy hell.)

> As always, you build your system with room for expansion in the event
> you need additional resource availability. Also, ensure your
> customer/client understands the limitations of the number simultaneous
> calls. If you don't tell them and they find out the hard way, you'll be
> in a world of hurt.

Without the guidance of someone who has been down the road before, he is
likely to hit every pothole.

I still think hiring some talent to either "do the job" or "mentor" the OP
is the most helpful advice I could give.

--
Thanks in advance,