[asterisk-users] asterisk dialplan to share fax line

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Mon Oct 12 16:53:30 CDT 2009

Hi

I look  after a site which is using asterisk and a vsp for its primary
telco needs, so I am on holiday for a week and of course some jack arse
has decided to reboot the server and something has gone wrong with the
remote access.  Now they don't have any internet and i can't fix it
remotely.  Bad for them because they don't have any inbound call
capabilities, they do have outbound via the fallback pstn line connected
to the asterisk box, which is also a fax line - its primary useage.

So what i would like to to when i get back is to setup the pstn line to
be a backup inbound line as well. shared fax and normal phone line.

How can I work the dial plan to

1) pickup the call
2) if its a fax hold the line till the fax machine takes over or will
now that asterisk has picked up the line ....I

have a tdm410 card with fxo + fxs ports. do I attach the fax machine to
the asterisk server and just  treat it as a extension, but letting all
its outbound calls go through the pstn line on the tdm card  - will the
fax work that way ?  the question is still how to I deal with inbound
calls/faxes ?

Alex