[asterisk-users] Choose IAX or SIP trunking?

Kirill 'Big K' Katsnelson kkm at adaptiveai.com
Thu Oct 8 00:31:30 CDT 2009

On 091007 0001, Hans Witvliet wrote:
> Obviously, it is an outdated document that should be revised.
>
> It stated:
> "Now sip supports more than asterisk sip supports. SIP RFC requires tcp
> support for example, yet its not in trunk yet."
>
> This feature is already in the 1.6-branch, production. You just need to
> enable it in the config. I used it in connecting to Microsoft-stuff,
> quite some months ago.

I would agree, in assessing how bad SIP is the article is outdated. My
goal is, however, different. We are already using SIP, and I wanted to
know how bad is IAX2. I am afraid the information in the article matches
what others suggested: IAX2 support requires an overhaul to become
viable in a high volume production environment. It is suitable for home
or a very small office with no trained personnel, though, where traffic
is low. If you disagree, please tell me where do you think I am mistaken.

s/bad/good/g for a more optimistic point of view.

  -kkm