[asterisk-users] Bringing people into a conference

Ioan Indreias indreias at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 04:20:26 CDT 2009

Hello Harley,

Please find the directions I've used in order to get this work on our
Asterisk machine.

The "flow"
=======
A conference user (A) decide to invite somebody else (B) into the
conference. Pressing 0 from his dialpad A will hear a dial tone and he
have to enter the destination number followed by #. In case B agree to
enter into conference A will have to press 9 otherwise A should press
7. In both cases A will return into the conference.

Step 1. Add the following lines in [applicationmap] section from  features.conf

conf-inv   => 9,caller,Macro,conf-inv
conf-noinv => 7,caller,Macro,conf-noinv

After issuing reload/restart, when you issue "feature show" from CLI
you have to see:

Dynamic Feature           Default Current
---------------           ------- -------
conf-noinv                no def  7
conf-inv                  no def  9

Step 2. When add a person into the conference use option "X" for MeetMe
This will allow user to exit the conference by entering a valid single
digit extension. If you want to go to a special context you have to
set MEETME_EXIT_CONTEXT otherwise the same context will be used.
Let's assume that MeetMe call is done on extension s, priority
"cont_3" and we do not change the MEETME_EXIT_CONTEXT
Also, let's assume that the conference number is set into
__Room_number variable (please notice __ in front of the variable).

Thus we have the folowing line in our dialplan:
exten => s,n(cont_3),MeetMe(${Room_number},X)  <- here you could add
other options as well

Step 3. Let's say the user will press 0 -> they will jump to extension
0, step 1 in the MEETME_EXIT_CONTEXT

Use the following lines:
exten => 0,1,Wait(1)
exten => 0,n,Read(Get_dest,dial,,i)
exten => 0,n,Set(DYNAMIC_FEATURES=conf-inv#conf-noinv)
exten => 0,n,Dial(Local/${Get_dest}@from-internal,,g)   <- here you
have to use the context you use for the internal users. Also, notice
the "g" option - it is very important
exten => 0,n,Set(DYNAMIC_FEATURES=)
exten => 0,n,Goto(s,cont_3)    <- here you have to jump to the "line"
where you add the person to the conference

Step 4. Put in your dialplan the following lines for the Dynamic features:

[macro-conf-inv]
exten => s,1,ChannelRedirect(${BRIDGEPEER},conference-redirect,${Room_number},1)

[macro-conf-noinv]
exten => s,1,SoftHangup(${BRIDGEPEER})

This setup should work and maybe some twicks should be done in order
to work in your system.

I'll be happy to help you and you could contact me off list in case
you think it is more easy.

Best regards,
Ioan (Nini) Indreias
www.modulo.ro