[asterisk-users] How many lines do you use.

jon pounder jonp at inline.net
Wed Nov 25 16:41:40 CST 2009

Travis Elsberry wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Do you know if it IS possible to use multiple lines/extensions on SIP
> with a Cisco 7960 or other phone models?  My boss wanted to have 1
> physical phone but have it register to a couple of different
> extensions, then use different ringtones to identify which line was
> ringing when a call came in.

The grandstream gxp2000's have 4 lines, and this is what I did - I have
2 sip channels registered with the pbx, one for personal calls and one
for business calls, so I can tell by which rings what type call it is,
however what I did was use the 1st and 3rd channels since if I am on the
"line" and another call comes in it rolls into the next  line on the
phone that way the roll happens to lines 2 and 4 that are not bound to
an extension. if the roll happened to a channel that was registering
rather than an empty button it would be confusing on the type of call.
what is even more confusing is the 4 lines also roll into the speed dial
/ status buttons so if you have people on hold, it may look like you are
getting a call from a speed dial link when its really an outside call.

4-6 lines sounds like a lot but I think in practice its more used for
rollover than that many unique extensions on a phone.