[asterisk-users] How many lines do you use.

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 10:08:45 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 5:18 AM, Julian Lyndon-Smith <asterisk at dotr.com> wrote:
> Just for some information really : How many of you use multiple sip lines on
> a phone ?.
> I'm sitting here looking at my 7960, with it's 6 lines. I've every only used
> one line, and I was wondering if I was a weirdo ;)
> The only time I've ever found a use was when I had two systems (production
> and test) and it caused so much grief (could have been asterisk or cisco) I
> simply use a softphone for testing now.
> Curious minds are wanting to know ...

Cisco describes those as 'buttons' as you can map them to features as
you wish, such as speed dial that the one poster mentioned.

I have one set up as a test/debug phone, where I have five buttons
mapped to different asterisk systems where the phone registers. This
lets me dial direct and do better testing specific to the roll of a
given server. My polycom phones only have two lines or buttons or
whatever you want to call them, and are less useful for that specific
purpose.

I agree that if you only have the phone registering with a single
server, six simultaneous lines seems like overkill.