[asterisk-users] Meetme 'o' - what actually it does..??

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 09:54:39 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 2:17 AM, Chandrakant Solanki
<solanki.chandrakant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can someone explain me what is the purpose for MeetMe Option 'o'..
>
> If I defined 'o' with MeetMe option or If not defined with MeetMe option...
> What is the difference between these two if defined or not defined MeetMe
> 'o' option...

Well, there's theory, and then there's my experience...

Theory says that the larger the conference, the more that people
introduce small noises, like ambient hums, and these eventually become
a lot of the mixing load on a conference, degrading the experience for
all. By trying to tell the difference between speech and ambient
noise, a conference can do a better job of making a conference sound
good for all users. This is what is meant by talker optimization.

In my usage, the optimization was "too optimal", and was clipping the
beginnings and endings of sentences and phrases, and I upgraded to get
a release where optimization was off by default and optional. In my
usage, we're mostly using small conferences. It's entirely possible
that with large conferences the optimization is very useful. I've
never used it that way, so I can't say myself.

There was a large demand to make talker optimization optional again,
after 1.6.0 initially launched with optimization always-on, thus I
don't think I'm the only one who tried optimization and thought it
made things worse than without the optimization.

It's also possibly that optimization is better now than it used to be.