[asterisk-users] Is Answer really needed

Ishfaq Malik ish at pack-net.co.uk
Mon Nov 23 04:07:35 CST 2009

Hi

All my incoming dial plans start of with an Answer which I now know
starts the billing time. Some of the dialplans then get forwarded out to
POTS via a carrier and so the actual amount of time that should be
billed is being distorted.

I've done a few tests this morning and found that if I don't start with
an answer then the billsec of my forwarded call is actually the length
of time that the call was answered in reality and not the length of the
call plus connection and answering time.

My question is, does Answer have any major function that I am
overlooking before I remove it from all my dial plans? Because it
doesn't seem to to me.

Thanks

Ish
--