[asterisk-users] Call audio leaking between calls

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Fri Nov 13 05:06:15 CST 2009

Tilghman Lesher <tlesher at digium.com> writes:

> Many consumer-grade switches effectively turn into hubs when more than 1023
> MAC addresses are seen on a network.  This may be done intentionally by
> somebody attempting to eavesdrop on all network connections sent through
> the switch.  A reboot of the switch might (temporarily) remedy the problem,
> but you'd be better off getting an enterprise-grade switch that does not
> exhibit such misbehavior.

Even so, all network cards automatically drop all unicast traffic not
destined to their mac address (or addresses). This is turned off when
the nic is in "promiscuous" mode, but that shouldn't happen on
hardphones.

Also, it is highly unlikely that IP stack wouldn't drop the traffic
itself. This is simply too basic to get wrong.

The only way I can see that a low-layer network problem could cause
crosstalk is if two phones somehow acquired the same MAC address. They
would likely end up with the same IP as well, and that could certainly
cause problems.

/Benny