[asterisk-users] SIP source address error

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.to
Wed Nov 11 14:04:05 CST 2009

Hi all,

My Asterisk problem today involves getting a SIP client on a private
net to register with a server somewhere else on the Internet. This
worked for me about a year ago no problem, but now I see an error
message on the remote server every time the client attempts to connect
(the server is running Debian lenny with Asterisk 1:1.4.21.2~dfsg-3).
Here's an example:

[Nov 11 14:29:47] WARNING[6365]: chan_sip.c:1787 __sip_xmit: sip_xmit
of 0xb63d5694 (len 444) to 192.168.8.30:5060 returned -1: Operation
not permitted

"192.168.8.30"? At first I thought maybe the local NAT (iptables SNAT)
wasn't doing its job properly, but it seems fine for the rest. Also,
the same client, going through the same NAT, has no problem connecting
to my ISP's SIP server. Then I thought it might be the SIP client (a
Siemens Gigaset S675IP phone), but I get exactly the same problem when
using an old analog phone with a Linksys SPA-3000 instead.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so, what caused it and
what solved it?

Thanks,

Jaap