[asterisk-users] SendText

Matt Riddell lists at venturevoip.com
Tue Nov 10 01:51:31 CST 2009

On 10/11/09 4:19 PM, Thomas Perron wrote:
> Will text messages work to non-SIP enpoints using your logic/code?
> thank you

If you mean SMS, yeah.

Basically use SendText for devices which can display them (i.e. SIP/IAX
phones) and Clickatel or the like for disconnected devices (i.e. SMS to
mobile).

If you wanted to extend it you could also use the Jabber functions to
send to instant messaging clients.

Here at the offices we basically do the following:

SMS Messages for urgent notifications, payments received, support requests.

Jabber Messages for incoming support call details, long Post Dial Delay
warnings, congestion warnings.

MRTG displaying IAX2 and SIP peer response times.

Custom graphs to display inter country links. We use a system of circles
around an international link.  Each of our servers gets a circle.  The
larger the circle, the higher the delay, and if the host is unreachable
the circle goes red.

That way you can see from a quick glance if an international link is
totally down (lots of red circles), a problem for one of our servers
(one red circle), or if one of our servers is having trouble connecting
to all remote links (one red circle on each link).

We do the same circles for a couple of key customers to make sure their
systems are always connected to multiple of our exchanges.

Oh, the other thing we display on the dashboard is our Jabber statuses,
and the number of tickets open in any of our support queues, and who
they are assigned to.  That way if someone is getting overloaded with
support requests you can move jobs to another staff member.

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell
Director