[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6.1 + Cisco AS5300 + Fax T38 ?

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 14:49:26 CST 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Phibee Network Operation Center
<noc at phibee.net> wrote:
> I am search to:
>
>    - Cisco Receive all Fax, two poss: he detect automatiqueley a Fax,
> or based on phone number.
>    - Sent the fax in T38 to Asterisk for "Fax Routing"
>    - Based on the number and extensions, Asterisk sent the T38 call to
> the T38 terminaison (other server) ..
>
> Anyone know if it's possible ? and if yes, what is the configuration
> process (on the cisco and on the Asterisk Gateway)

I don't know how to do automatic fax detection on Cisco. It is
probably possible.

Sending T.38 to asterisk is supported by Cisco voice IOS and by
asterisk, with the caveat that you should read the release notes for
whatever IOS you have chosen. Pretty much every voice IOS release
notes I've ever read has pointed out conditions where T.38 has known
issues.

Doing routing based on number dialed definitely works, and you tell
Cisco to send those calls over T.38 with G.711 failover if T.38
doesn't negotiate properly.

If you google Cisco T.38 dialplan you should see some examples. If you
search the asterisk-users archives you'll see dial-peer samples
involving T.38 faxing between Cisco and asterisk.