[asterisk-users] Popping sounds on voice prompts

Tom Gerrard asterisk at simpletcpip.com
Tue Nov 3 05:26:38 CST 2009

Hi list,

I just downloaded the ulaw prompts from this website:
http://www.gmvoices.com/solutions/detail/asterisk/ as had a few complaints
about the levels and accent of the existing prompts.

The downloaded prompts sound great when listened to on my desktop machine,
however when I use them on our CentOs 5.2 / asterisk 1.4.21.2 server there
is a fairly loud popping noise in between each sound and a weird noise at

Nothing of note in the logs, and I've tried converting them using sox from
ulaw format to Microsoft PCM and gsm.  Our existing prompts are Microsoft
PCM and there are no problems.

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?  Or any suggestions on a different
format I should use?

Call quality is great and music on hold works fine too.

Thanks,
Tom