[asterisk-users] Bandwidth management and ADSL router

James A. Shigley jas at answeringserv.com
Tue May 26 12:26:48 CDT 2009

A lot of ISP adsl modems aren't capable. But most should be. Just log in to it give it a private IP for your lan(192.X.X.X or whatever your using) then have all your computers use that local IP as their gateway address.

If you have an ADSL modem which doesn't then simple get a router (hell a Linksys/Dlink $50 cheapy from wallmart would work) and have the ADSL plug into the router and all the stations use the router for their gateway.

If you have a spare server or virtual server space you can use Vyatta (Vyatta.com) it is a free open source router/firewall/vpn/few other things. I've never used it in a virtual environment, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work that way. Also note that it requires almost nothing to run so you can put it on an old < 1Ghz machine and It would still operate just fine.

James Shigley
Monroe Telephone Answering Service
409-981-9213
Infinity 5.5,UC 4.02.3803, Blink 3.0.104
Ecreator:2.21, eResponse 1.1.7
Webportal,WebApps,

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including any attachments, contains information which may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by "reply to sender only" message and destroy all electronic and hard copies of the communication, including attachments.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." -- Albert Einstein
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something,wearing stripes with plaid comes easy." -- Albert Einstein
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when
something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and