[asterisk-users] howto store local exchange prefixes ?

Jonathan Thurman jthurman42 at gmail.com
Mon May 25 17:22:55 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 2:58 PM, John Novack
<jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org>wrote:

> sean darcy wrote:
> > The local telco is now going 10 digit dialing even for local (free)
> > calls which used to be 7 digit. For a while no problem, everyone will
> > continue to dial 7 digits, and I'll add the area code. But pretty soon
> > everyone will become used to 10 digits.
> >

> Lucky you.
> Other states require 11 digits for all calls, regardless, and yet others
> require 10 digit for local and 11 digit for toll, they way the NANP was
> SUPPOSED to evolve, until the inmates took over the asylum and each
> state ( in the US ) PUC sets the numbering plan and splits vs overlays.
>
> John Novack
>

> > There are about 40 3 digit local exchanges. I'd like to store the
> > exchanges in a database, and use the dialplan to check them. I can
> > figure that out.

Very lucky, we have 700 prefixes to check that are 10 digits on one some our
trunks and 11 on others, and some that don't care either way!

Right now I have a script that parses the prefixes and creates the dial plan
in an #include file.  Since the prefixes don't change the frequently, it
seems to work.  Assume that everything is 11 digits, then using a dialing
macro, find an open trunk and strip the '1' if needed.  Now my users never
have to dial a 11, but it works if they do.

I would welcome some ideas for a more elegant solution!

So if cell phones never require 11 digits...

The company line about NANP and consistancy:
*"We don't care.**We don't have to.**We're the phone company."*-Jonathan