[asterisk-users] Channels configuration with DAHDI

Daniel Bareiro daniel-listas at gmx.net
Sun May 24 17:38:30 CDT 2009

Hi Tzafrir.

El domingo 24 de mayo del 2009 a las 17:33:36 -0300,
Tzafrir Cohen escribió:

>> # cat /proc/dahdi/*
>> Span 1: WCTDM/4 "Wildcard TDM400P REV E/F Board 5" (MASTER)
>>
>>            1 WCTDM/4/0 RED
>>            2 WCTDM/4/1
>>            3 WCTDM/4/2
>>            4 WCTDM/4/3
>>

>> After to run dahdi_cfg -vvv:
>>
>> # cat /proc/dahdi/*
>> Span 1: WCTDM/4 "Wildcard TDM400P REV E/F Board 5" (MASTER)
>>
>>            1 WCTDM/4/0 FXSKS RED
>>            2 WCTDM/4/1 FXOKS
>>            3 WCTDM/4/2
>>            4 WCTDM/4/3
>>
>> Two doubts related to this:
>>
>> * what means the word 'RED' associated to zero channel? I observed when
>>   I connect the telephone line here, the word 'RED' disappears.

> As you guessed: it means that the line is connected to a working FXS
> (as I wrote in my previous mail).

Perfect.

>> * I have the impression that the execution of this command is necessary
>>   for the correct detection of the modules.

> It's not really detection. It is the DAHDI indicating you that the
> channel is actually configured.

I spoke of 'detection' because after the execution of dahdi_cfg only is
that 'cat /proc/dahdi/*' shows FXSKS and FXOKS. Perhaps, it would have
been more correct to say the execution of this command is necessary to
configure the channels signaling.

>> This execution is made automatically during bootstrapping of the
>> operating system?

> Yes. At boot you run /etc/init.d/dahdi which runs dahdi_cfg after the
> modules are loaded. There's a deprecated method of running dahdi_cfg
> as a post-load command of a module, but it is an ugly workaround that
> causes too many problems.

Perfect.

>> Then I test the following thing in the CLI:
>>
>> alderamin*CLI> dahdi show channel
>> No such command 'dahdi show channel' (type 'help dahdi show' for other possible commands)
>> alderamin*CLI> module load chan_dahdi.so
>>   == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf': Found
>>     -- Registered channel 2, FXO Kewlstart signalling
>> [May 24 15:04:54] WARNING[5306]: chan_dahdi.c:4090 handle_alarms:
>> Detected alarm on channel 1: Red Alarm
>>     -- Registered channel 1, FXS Kewlstart signalling
>>     -- Automatically generated pseudo channel
>>   == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/users.conf': Found
>>   == Registered channel type 'DAHDI' (DAHDI Telephony Driver)
>>   == Manager registered action DAHDITransfer
>>   == Manager registered action ZapTransfer
>>   == Manager registered action DAHDIHangup
>>   == Manager registered action ZapHangup
>>   == Manager registered action DAHDIDialOffHook
>>   == Manager registered action ZapDialOffHook
>>   == Manager registered action DAHDIDNDon
>>   == Manager registered action ZapDNDon
>>   == Manager registered action DAHDIDNDoff
>>   == Manager registered action ZapDNDoff
>>   == Manager registered action DAHDIShowChannels
>>   == Manager registered action ZapShowChannels
>>   == Manager registered action DAHDIRestart
>>   == Manager registered action ZapRestart
>>  Loaded chan_dahdi.so => (DAHDI Telephony)
>> alderamin*CLI>
>> alderamin*CLI>
>> alderamin*CLI>
>> alderamin*CLI> dahdi show channels
>>    Chan Extension  Context         Language   MOH Interpret
>>  pseudo            default                    default
>>       1            incomming       es         default
>>       2            phones          es         default
>>

>> Good, now it seems that it would be working... but is there any form
>> to doing that this module is also automatically load when
>> bootstrappiong of the operating system? I was looking for in the
>> configuration files of example that are in /etc/asterisk but I did
>> not find some reference.

> Yes. If /etc/inint.d/asterisk is run after /etc/init.d/dahdi (which
> should happen with default installs of Asterisk and DAHDI) this should
> be the case.

This is consistent:

/etc/rc2.d/S50asterisk
/etc/rc2.d/S15dahdi

I tried only leaving uncommented in the file /etc/dahdi/modules the line
'wctdm' and after to reboot the operating system, both the card as
FXS/FXO channels signaling was detected without problems.

Now it would remain to find the cause of why I cannot call from a SIP
extension to an analog telephone. Perhaps it is by something related to
the contexts in the mentioned configuration files?

Thank for your reply.

Regads,
Daniel