[asterisk-users] Channels configuration with DAHDI

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun May 24 15:33:36 CDT 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 04:53:41PM -0300, Daniel Bareiro wrote:

> # cat /proc/dahdi/*
> Span 1: WCTDM/4 "Wildcard TDM400P REV E/F Board 5" (MASTER)
>
>            1 WCTDM/4/0 RED
>            2 WCTDM/4/1
>            3 WCTDM/4/2
>            4 WCTDM/4/3
>

> After to run dahdi_cfg -vvv:
>
> # cat /proc/dahdi/*
> Span 1: WCTDM/4 "Wildcard TDM400P REV E/F Board 5" (MASTER)
>
>            1 WCTDM/4/0 FXSKS RED
>            2 WCTDM/4/1 FXOKS
>            3 WCTDM/4/2
>            4 WCTDM/4/3
>
> Two doubts related to this:
>
> * what means the word 'RED' associated to zero channel? I observed when
>   I connect the telephone line here, the word 'RED' disappears.

As you guessed: it means that the line is connected to a working FXS (as
I wrote in my previous mail).

> * I have the impression that the execution of this command is necessary
>   for the correct detection of the modules.

It's not really detection. It is the DAHDI indicating you that the
channel is actually configured.

> This execution is made
>   automatically during bootstrapping of the operating system?

Yes. At boot you run /etc/init.d/dahdi which runs dahdi_cfg after the
modules are loaded. There's a deprecated method of running dahdi_cfg as
a post-load command of a module, but it is an ugly workaround that
causes too many problems.

> Then I test the following thing in the CLI:
>
> alderamin*CLI> dahdi show channel
> No such command 'dahdi show channel' (type 'help dahdi show' for other possible commands)
> alderamin*CLI> module load chan_dahdi.so
>   == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf': Found
>     -- Registered channel 2, FXO Kewlstart signalling
> [May 24 15:04:54] WARNING[5306]: chan_dahdi.c:4090 handle_alarms:
> Detected alarm on channel 1: Red Alarm
>     -- Registered channel 1, FXS Kewlstart signalling
>     -- Automatically generated pseudo channel
>   == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/users.conf': Found
>   == Registered channel type 'DAHDI' (DAHDI Telephony Driver)
>   == Manager registered action DAHDITransfer
>   == Manager registered action ZapTransfer
>   == Manager registered action DAHDIHangup
>   == Manager registered action ZapHangup
>   == Manager registered action DAHDIDialOffHook
>   == Manager registered action ZapDialOffHook
>   == Manager registered action DAHDIDNDon
>   == Manager registered action ZapDNDon
>   == Manager registered action DAHDIDNDoff
>   == Manager registered action ZapDNDoff
>   == Manager registered action DAHDIShowChannels
>   == Manager registered action ZapShowChannels
>   == Manager registered action DAHDIRestart
>   == Manager registered action ZapRestart
>  Loaded chan_dahdi.so => (DAHDI Telephony)
> alderamin*CLI>
> alderamin*CLI>
> alderamin*CLI>
> alderamin*CLI> dahdi show channels
>    Chan Extension  Context         Language   MOH Interpret
>  pseudo            default                    default
>       1            incomming       es         default
>       2            phones          es         default
>

> Good, now it seems that it would be working... but is there any form to
> doing that this module is also automatically load when bootstrappiong of
> the operating system? I was looking for in the configuration files of
> example that are in /etc/asterisk but I did not find some reference.

Yes. If /etc/inint.d/asterisk is run after /etc/init.d/dahdi (which
should happen with default installs of Asterisk and DAHDI) this should
be the case.

If this is not the case for you:

What version of Asterisk do you use?

What version of DAHDI? (linux, tools)

What Linux distribution do you use? What version?

What do you get after a normal boot?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com