[asterisk-users] [UK SPECIFIC] DAHDI and a OpenVox Card

Dunc dunc at lemonia.org
Sun May 24 05:16:31 CDT 2009

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 23 May 2009, Dunc wrote:

Hi Gordon, thanks for your reply, I was hoping to find someone who was
involved in the thread before.

See inline comments....

>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I just found this thread, which is amazing as I'm on my first go with
>> asterisk and so far I've been pulling my hair out for the last week :-)
>>
>> I have 2 questions which were raised while this fault was being debugged.
>>

>> 1)
>>
>> Gordon says:-
>>
>>> Is this a place where you get a polarity reversal event on call startup?
>> In the UK we do. (Well on BT lines - I've a funny feeling some
>> Telewest/NTL lines use Bell signaling).
>>
>> On an incoming call we get:
>>
>>    Polarity reversal.
>>    FSK Caller ID burst
>>    Ringing
>>

>> Well I've got an NTL phone line, can anyone tell me what to use for that?
>
> Throw it away and get a BT one ;-)
>
> I'd suggest running with verbose >=3 and seeing what it says.
>
> However I have 2 clients with Teleworst lines and I've never been able to
> make caller ID work on them, even though teleworst insist they are
> providing caller ID..

Well that's a shame because I specifically went for NTL so that I
haven't got BT to contend with when my Internet is broken. The Ethernet
presentation instead of a pair of BT wires is very appealing.

I'll be happy to get it up and running for now and worry about caller ID
later though. So we'll press on :-)

>> 2)
>>
>> Do I still need the same 2pin cable? Because I've been to Maplins too
>> and bought one that I thought was right, but this one is a 4pin too.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me which pins on their 2pin cable are connected at each
>> end? I'll bodge my cable until it works and then get a proper one once
>> I'm sure.
>
> I think part of this same thread had something about modem vs. ordinary
> cables - however I put in a 4-pin modem cable to see what happenes and it
> continued to work as before, so I'm personally not convinced about that
> one... ie. I've not had a cable that didn't work.
>
> Gordon

Right so I'm probably barking up the wrong red herring with the cable
problem. I did wonder when the TDM card has 2 pins on the RJ11 socket
what possible difference a 4 pin cable could make, but I've definitely
had madness with phones before where wiring up seemingly unused wires
made the extensions ring, so I'm willing to accept phone wiring is mad.

In that case, I'll reply to an earlier post in the thread from someone
requesting my config / symptoms, and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Dunc