[asterisk-users] Add Monitor application to call suppresses audio

Barry L. Kline blkline at attglobal.net
Tue May 19 07:07:06 CDT 2009

This is getting really interesting.  I had a chance to do some testing
last night.  To recap, here is what I'm attempting to do:

Caller --> INBOUND_PRI --> Asterisk --> OUTBOUND_PRI --> AnswerService

The caller dials our number, * picks the call and offers some choices.
If the caller needs to speak to a human, * dials the answering service
and then bridges the calls.  It works flawlessly in this scenario. If I
do Monitor() or MixMonitor() on the channel before dialing the outbound
call, 99.9% of the time I get no audio to the caller.

Now for the interesting part:

If I substitute my cell phone number (xxx-xxxx) for that of the
answering service (1-877-...) everything, including Monitor(), works
just fine.  The same goes for calling my home number instead of the cell
phone.

I don't know what my cell phone and home phone terminates into when I
dial those numbers but if I call my answering service I know that they
have a T1/PRI.  I have done a PRI DEBUG SPAN 4 (where 4 is the outbound
PRI) and repeated the tests, capturing the output.   Nothing in them
jumps out at me as yet but I'll keep looking at them.

Does this offer anything suggestive David?

Barry