[asterisk-users] Some direction for creating sound files for Asterisk

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Mon May 18 13:45:01 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Jonathan Moore <supermegatron at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, my real problem is I don't totally understand what I'm doing...
> which is why I'm making this post.
>
> What I'm trying to do is record various prompts for use with my
> asterisk system.  I started out by just using some of the various
> record functions, and things worked out well.  However, now I'm
> wanting to take a recording of someone speaking, and put some music in
> the background.  I have audacity, and I've imported the speaking,
> imported the music, and things seem good.  Here is where I need help.
>
> Instead of just a "this is what you need to do", I'd love so pointers
> on where to find info on creating audio for this type of project.  So
> far, google has left me without much.  Any help would be appreciated.

I've never seen any resources that address this. Probably because
general principles about linux and sys admin apply here.

Your friend is the file command, as in:
$ file filename.wav

will give you valuable output like:
filename.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, ITU G.711 mu-law,
mono 8000 Hz

You can also get useful output from programs like:
mplayer and play
and you can convert with sox in addition to audacity which you've
already discovered.