[asterisk-users] help a bald guy

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Fri May 15 11:15:08 CDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Danny Nicholas <danny at debsinc.com> wrote:
> AFAIK we are on PRI with no alarms.

I'm thinking the common denominator with your arrangement is that call
progress info isn't getting relayed properly, and / or there are line
signaling issues.

To me that means a problem with your DAHDI/Zaptel configuration for
these lines. If you pulled these out of an old PBX, can you rip off
the line configuration from there?

When you set up the line signaling for your PRIs, you need to mention
the kind of signalling, as well as where the bchannels and dchannels
are.

Here's my old school /etc/zaptel.conf config for a 4-port Digium card
with 4 full pris terminating...

## Slot 1, Port 1
## Signalling: PRI CPE
span=1,1,1,esf,b8zs
bchan=1-23
dchan=24

## Slot 1, Port 2
# Signalling: PRI CPE
span=2,1,1,esf,b8zs
bchan=25-47
dchan=48

## Slot 1, Port 3
# Signalling: PRI CPE
span=3,1,1,esf,b8zs
bchan=49-71
dchan=72

## Slot 1, Port 4
# Signalling: PRI CPE
span=4,1,1,esf,b8zs
bchan=73-95
dchan=96

and here's a different Digium card that has T1 circuits talking to a
funky proprietary PBX

## Slot 2, Port 1
# Signalling: FXS Koolstart
span=5,1,1,esf,b8zs
fxsks=97-120

## Slot 2, Port 2
# Signalling: FXS Koolstart
span=6,1,1,esf,b8zs
fxsks=121-144

## Slot 2, Port 3
# Signalling: FXS Koolstart
# Inter-Tel T Card #21
span=7,1,1,esf,b8zs
fxsks=145-168

## Slot 2, Port 4
# Signalling: FXS Koolstart
# Inter-Tel T Card #28
span=8,1,1,esf,b8zs
fxsks=169-192

And the corresponding /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf

[trunkgroups]

[channels]

; Switch Type (national is default)
switchtype=national

; Caller ID
usecallerid=no
cidsignalling=bell
cidstart=ring
hidecallerid=no

; Misc Options
toneduration=100 ; Length of tone in ms
transfer=yes ; Allow flash-hook
transfertobusy=yes ; flash-hook transfers to busy channel (default yes)
jitterbuffers=4 ; jitter buffers (each one is 20ms, default 4)

; Echo Cancellation
echocancel=yes ; Echo Cancellation
; echotraining=yes ; Extend the echo cancellation training to x ms
; echotraining=800ms ; x ms (default is 400ms)

; Busy Options
busycount=4 ; amount of busy tones to wait for before hanging up
;busypattern=500,500 ; Busy Pattern (x ms ON, x ms OFF)

; Polarity Switches
answeronpolarityswitch=yes ; Outgoing call is answered by remote party
hanguponpolarityswitch=yes ; Polarity reversal signals a hangup

context=T1_termination
signalling=fxs_ks
channel => 97-192

context=pri_termination
signalling=pri_cpe
channel => 1-23, 25-47, 49-71, 73-95

If you bought a Digium card you may be entitled to Digium tech support
for getting this configured correctly.