[asterisk-users] Voicemail and remote directory with SSHFS

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu May 14 09:12:15 CDT 2009

On Thursday 14 May 2009 08:14:17 Elliot Murdock wrote:
> The problem is a file locking problem that Asterisk needs to make changes
> to the directory.  I was initially shying away from NFS and Samba, because
> I prefer to avoid any sort of security issues with only remotely mounting
> one or two directories.  NFS and Samba are designed for larger
> applications, which makes those types of technology worthwhile.

No, they're both designed as filesystems, which makes typical things like
locking possible.  SSH is designed as a communications medium, and someone
has hacked filesystem support on top of it (poorly, apparently).  SSHFS was
never designed to be used in server production environments and should not
be used there.

> I am wondering if there is any way to disable Asterisk's request to lock
> the directory.  I know this may cause some loss in data, but for the volume
> voicemail receives, it should be rare enough that would make this approach
> an option.

There is not.  Use a real filesystem that supports file locking (or really,
file linking, which is how the locking is implemented) procedures.

--
Tilghman