[asterisk-users] Building a System.

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon May 11 07:53:36 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 02:16:29PM +1000, Klaverstyn, David C wrote:
> Hi John,
>

> I'm not sure if this will help you or not but I created  a script that
> will install Asterisk with all the required components for DAHDI,
> Faxing, fax to email, LDAPget, CDR, FOP etc.  It can even include text
> to speech applications.  I created it because I wanted to install
> Asterisk multiple times and as quickly as possible.  It does the exact
> same steps as one would do when doing an install manually.
>

> I created the bash script aster-install
> <http://www.klaverstyn.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Aster-install> .
> http://www.klaverstyn.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Aster-install

A scripted installation is indeed doable (I did it myself:
http://updates.xorcom.com/astribank/bristuff/1.4) - I had enough
iterations to improve it and enough pressure to make it usable.

But what happens after you install it? How do you follow up with newer
versions?

E.g. many people still have an ancient version of mpg123 installed. With
many known security holes. This is because at the time it was the "black
magic working and recommended" version for getting music-on-hold to
work. mpg123 has moved on. But it is still installed on many systems.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com