[asterisk-users] determination of where a call is placed from (physical location)

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri May 8 21:40:05 CDT 2009

On Fri, 8 May 2009, Eric Fort wrote:

> I am interested in setting up asterisk to record all calls it
> processes.  there are however some legal quirks to doing this that I
> have run across such as one party notification vs 2 party notification
> requirements which depend upon the physical endpoints of a call.  If I
> wish to discretely record all incoming calls except those calling from
> a place requiring 2 party notification (thus avoiding the need for an
> overt announcement) How can I afirmatively determine the physical
> location of the party originating the call and thus the applicable
> legal jurisdiction.

With local number portability, callerid spoofing services, and VOIP
providers providing DIDs (which are sometimes set as the outgoing
callerid) in virtually any "geographic" location on earth, I think you're
out of luck.

Ask your legal beagles if "appearing to originate in a particular physical
area" is a reasonable effort.

Thanks in advance,