[asterisk-users] Voicemail Alert

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Thu May 7 10:28:48 CDT 2009

Cary Fitch wrote:
> Can any one suggest a little code to either ring a cell phone when a new VM
> message is recorded, or send a text message?
>
> Basically outside sales people want to know they have a new message, but
> don't want to be interrupted to take a forwarded call.
>
> While a message by message notice would be nice, even just a single notice
> on the first message would be an alert to call for messages.
>
> Basically, a call from their own number would be the clue that there is a
> voicemail waiting.

As someone else mentioned, if you want a text message I'd have asterisk
send an email to an email-SMS gateway, you'll probably want to trim the
email message down and prevent an attachment though.

If you want an actual phone call, I have a series of scripts I use to
call a person when a new voicemail is left. I use the vmnotify option in
voicemail.conf to call a script that checks if the number of messages in
the inbox is greater than the last time it was called (so a user doesn't
get a call after they check their messages) and if so, create a call
file to contact them and automatically connect them to the voice mail
system. If you want it I can send it to you.

-Dave