[asterisk-users] Cisco 7940 phones become unreachable over VPN after a time

ian at comtek.co.uk ian at comtek.co.uk
Wed May 6 14:10:01 CDT 2009

> I have a number of ideas of what could be happening, and most involve
> routing issues over your VPN, or your VPN dropping packets. Here's a
> suggestion:
>
> * put another asterisk server on the remote side, and have the two
> asterisk servers do SIP or IAX trunks back and forth.
Thanks for the suggestion.

An additional server in our 'main' remote location is likely to happen
anyway at some stage, but there are still a couple of users who have a
permanent VPN at home with a single phone and it just isn't
practical to run Asterisk at every such location.

999 calls and 'WAN down' aren't really a big deal since every
location has at least a couple of alternate means of communication
(old fashioned landline or mobile).

Ian