[asterisk-users] Can someone help me with my IAX-registration

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Mon May 4 02:24:28 CDT 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Steven J. Douglas wrote:

> Maybe you can try leaving out bindport and bindaddr parameters first.
> The port defaults to 4569 anyway. As for the bindaddr, you should be
> using the IP Address of your interfaces. I am assuming you are using the
> IP Address obtained from your router. If that is the case, then asterisk
> will not be able to bind to that address.

You are assuming that he does not know the address that will be assigned
by his DHCP server. I use DHCP to assign all addresses, both fixed and
leased.

Leaving out bindaddr means "bind to 0.0.0.0" -- all addresses on the box.

We haven't heard back if basic connectivity can be established.

) Can you ping box a from box b? How about box b from box a? Not all ISPs
pass pings, so this test is not conclusive.

) Can you use nc (Netcat) to send and receive packets on port 4569 from
box a to box b and vice versa? (Do this with Asterisk stopped on both
boxes.) If you can't, there may be some firewall you are not aware of in
your way. Once you identify the firewall, poke a hole for 4569 and then
restart the firewall.

Thanks in advance,