[asterisk-users] New system for recording - SCSI, SAS or SATA?

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Fri May 1 09:23:03 CDT 2009

On Fri, 01 May 2009 14:35:52 +0200, Benny Amorsen wrote:

>tony at softins.clara.co.uk (Tony Mountifield) writes:
>
>> I'm in the process of specifying the hardware for some new Asterisk
>> systems which will be running a substantial number of conferences
>> with recording.
>>
>> I was wondering what there is to choose between SCSI, SAS and SATA
>> disks, in terms of performance for this kind of application.
>
>Modern SCSI, SAS, or SATA drives don't perform differently because of
>the interface type. You can't get 15kRPM SATA drives because the market
>for those is too small though.

<snip>

There's a peripheral matter that may be worth consideration. My
employer uses a considerable number of Seagate 15k U320 SCSI drives in
the HD video clip recorders on our graphics devices. We're recording
high bitrate HD video so we routinely install 15k drive arrays, and we
buy a lot of these drives.

Incidentally, the Seagates outperform other 15K drives. That's why we
use them.

Seagate came to us some time back and announced that they were planning
to cease the manufacture of SCSI disks in general. There was quite an
outcry from various manufacturers who need these drives and they
extended their cutoff date. But is does appear that U320 parallel SCSI
appears to be nearing its end.

There also seems to be some debate as to whether 15k rpm drives will be
available for much longer. To spin that fast these drives have smaller
platters, and so lower capacity. The theory is that 10K drives are
catching up in performance, and have greater capacity. In theory an
array of 10K drives can offer better capacity & economics with similar
perormance on SAS or SATA interfaces.

Michael
--
Michael Graves